Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Weekend In A Few Words. Cabin Fever And Huevos Rancheros.

 I woke up Saturday morning with serious cabin fever.  It was 5 degrees again and coffee wasn't going to be enough.  I wanted to go outside.  Real bad. You may not believe it but I can be quite unpleasant when I'm in the throes of a winter bout of cabin fever.  I have so much respect for anyone who can live in Alaska....  So the New Jersey-ite and I jumped in the car and headed to the Domes in Milwaukee.  To pretend that we were outside.   It's 3 biodomes with 3 themes: desert, rainforest, and show (flowers and pretty stuff).  
Then we headed over to El Rey which is the most amazing Mexican grocery store where you can get all kinds of things that you can't get anywhere else.  Like the flour you need to make tortillas, these crazy snack things that you cook in 10 seconds and are better than potato chips (we bought them because we thought they were interesting pasta!), and super spicy red sauce for huevos rancheros which I could honestly eat every day.  This morning we tried it out and it was one of the best Sunday breakfasts we've ever had!
I've been missing Satna Fe a lot lately.... or maybe I'm just missing the sun.  Either way... we had a very desert themed weekend. We brought this amazing Santa Fe cookbook with us  - I love it because it explains all of the types of chilies and what you're supposed to do with them.  Great if you like spicy!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous purposeinc said...

Followed you over to stalk you here from OMS blog. I am also speaking there. Never even heard of the domes, but be interesting. Went to Santa Fe this Christmas, ate lots of Chile, bought custom made cowboy boots. Nice to meet you! :)

February 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

purposeinc - Nice to meet you too! See you in San Diego :)

February 1, 2010 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

That is extremely southwest themed all right. I love huevos rancheros

February 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home