Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stay Curious People. A Video And A Guilty Pleasure.


'curiosity' from Nic Askew on Vimeo.
I like this video because I sometimes feel like being curious isn't always given proper due in the business world.  Often viewed as 'time wasting' and 'fooling around', curious people take a lot of heat for wanting to know more about things. Seth Godin is worth watching in this video.
My number 1 favorite curious guilty pleasure is Craigslist.  I love to explore what it would be like to live in different places in the country by trolling Craiglist and seeing what kind of apartments people live in and what kinds of things they sell and trade.  My most recent favorite is Charlotte, North Carolina.  I am, however, almost embarrassed to admit to people the ridiculous amount of time I spend checking out cities I may never live in. 

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Royce said...

That is a tremendous video. I re-watched it like three times. I am going to re-watch it later.

I'm intrigued by your predilection for browsing random cities' Craigslist postings to get a feel for them. I feel like there's tremendous potential to do something creative with that inclination - for instance, a blog on a city using only Craigslist postings to describe it, or a collage of 30 different cities you'd live in based on the Craigslist postings, or something. I know there's something there but I can't put my finger on it.

January 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Isn't that great? It has led me to thinking about the importance of being curious all day.
I think you've got a good idea started with the city based on Craigslist blog. Or maybe I could post what I think different cities are like based on my browsings...
for example - I feel like Charlotte has been hit hard by the real estate bust but is trying to amp up their arts scene. hmmmm

January 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Um, yes please. Can you please do a post on this? I want to read that, sounds interesting.

How many different cities' pulses do you have your Craigslist finger on?

January 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

OK, I'll definitely do a post on that tomorrow :)
I'd like to say something not creepy like 3 cities.... but it's actually somewhere in the range of 7

January 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Royce said...

Follow up - nice job never posting about this C-Mac. You have an interesting idea here and I want to read about it, dammit =P

January 30, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home