Tuesday, February 3, 2009

About Last Night


I've been home helping my parents take care of some things on their farm the last few days.
backstory:  I did NOT grow up on a farm.  Neither did my parents.  They bought this place when I went to college and have been living out scenes from Green Acres every day after that.
Anyway, I am not that good with animals as most people know.  I like them and everything it's just, I am not sure if you're supposed to entertain them or what.  
So, of course it's around 10 degrees and I have to wear the following:
Carhardt camo snowsuit
Huge rubber boots 2 sizes too big
some kind of ski mask
hat
2 pairs of gloves.

My sisters make this a lot worse by insisting on photographing this process and by the time I have it all on, I'm sweating.  
We then go outside to bring in their 8 horses and 2 donkeys (okay fine, they are miniature donkeys and are 3 feet tall) and I am having no problems at all with the horses, they come into the barn no problem.  I am worried a lot because there's ice everywhere and I don't want one of them falling on me but they appear to be able to walk on ice so I start to relax a little.  Then my mom says "go out in the field and shoo in the donkeys ok?"  And then she LEAVES.
So I'm out there in the middle of a huge field with no protection, in camo, sweating and these miniature donkeys come at me full on running.  Running like they are not going to stop once they reach me, like they remember last summer when I tried to ride one of them knowing full well they were too small and wouldn't like it.  So I start screaming and run to the fence and climb up it and cling there while the tiny donkeys run around me.  
Usually, they are pretty nice, I'm not sure what got into them but I'm certain that it was one of my least tough moments in life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pete B said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Pete B said...

You were intimidated by a travel sized creature on hooves. Good lord. If one of those things charged me, I'd pick him up and snuggle him.

February 3, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

you try that when their tiny hooves of fury are aimed at you!

February 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaha! Hilarious.

February 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger brooklyn said...

do your parents really have 8 horses?

February 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

unfortunately, yes, they were supposed to be breeding and selling them but only got as far as breeding.
On the plus side, they ALL need to be brought in every night when it's cold out.
by someone in camo.

February 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home