Friday, February 5, 2010

Company Spotlight: Skittles Has A Bizarre New Site Based On Social Media Again


Skittles made a lot of headlines when they changed their homepage to be their Twitter feed.  It was new, interesting, and got them a lot of attention.  Now, they've gone and changed the site again.  It's hard to talk about it unless you've seen it so go and look at it here.  I'll wait.
It's pretty odd right?  It's both full of social media and strange as all hell. It's got lots of video, pictures, and links to their social pages which is usually a good thing.  What I'm interested in seeing is how well it's updated.  As of right now, they claim 92 Twitter followers on the site but when you go to their Twitter feed, there's 250 or so.  They make a bunch of other statistical claims about how many tweets the red Skittles get per minute that I wonder about as well. 
I'm not sure this will be a home run for Skittles but what I find interesting is their "full steam ahead" attitude towards the avant garde.  Are they the candy version of Lady Gaga? 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Royce said...

What the heck, that is like the weirdest company site I have ever seen. I am 100% supportive of what Skittles is doing because I mean, why not. You're a candy, people know you, so to get into people's heads in a new way you might as well do something different.

That site scrolls for quiiite a while before resetting. A lot of weird stuff in there. And did you notice they randomly link to their shareskittles.com site that is like a make-your-own skittle-sharing video?

February 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Actually they don't even link to it, they just put the web address text on a part of the site

February 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

"The candy version of Lady Gaga"-- I couldn't have said it better myself. I think my face was one big question mark the entire time I was looking at that site. But I just couldn't stop! And now I want Skittles... so, win for them!

February 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

Totally agree with Rebecca. By the way, their website needs to make mention of the purple Skittles pack. That is BY FAR the best flavor pack of Skittles.

February 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home