Sunday, March 1, 2009

Entrepreneur: Job Description or State of Mind?


I have occasionally been accused of being an entrepreneur.  Even admitted it on occasion although I haven't owned my own company in several years and it got me to thinking about the root of entrepreneurship and just who qualifies as one these days.  Here is the wikipedia definition:

"an entrepreneur is a person who has possession of an enterprise or venture, and assumes significant accountability for the inherent risks and the outcome.  It is an ambitious leader who combines land, labor, and capitol to create and market new goods and services."  It also goes on to describe a person who has strong beliefs in market opportunity.

So it seems an entrepreneur is basically the founder of a company or venture.  Yet it also hints at a person who is a leader which is where in my mind, this whole thing gets sticky.  I believe it also could cover those people who are willing to take some risks in order to create a better outcome.  Perhaps even extending beyond just the career arena.  Could you call an employee of an art gallery who came up with a new way to market their artists an entrepreneur?  What about the artist him/herself who starts a blog to foster conversation about his/her work?  
For me, the term covers a style of working or creating and is an attribute to be quite proud of and would even add that an entrepreneur should lack a healthy fear of failure.....
I agree with Wikipedia that it covers the risk and responsibility of a venture but what about extending it to cover the risk and responsibility of an idea or even a lifestyle?  I know lots of people that I would classify as "entrepreneurs" that own no company or don't plan to but live their lives with such an eye for efficiency or have such progressive ideas that it that the term just makes sense.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home