Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cutting Back With Class.

This is a hard post to write, since I don't like cutting back in any way, shape, or form. However, since I am not independently wealthy yet (so weird), I have spent some time thinking about how to change my lifestyle without anyone being able to tell.
1) figure out what you can change.
Art: I had intended to buy a large piece of art last time I was in New Mexico. It was not cheap. Also, I hate art from Pier 1 or Pottery Barn or anything like that so I decided to do what I could without spending my rent. I spent 50 cents apiece on 10 or so of these at a flea market this summer and they look pretty cool on the wall.A boy brought me an interesting bouquet before a date once and I kept them as a minimalist decoration for a small wall. That boy is long long gone but some things just last forever....

2) Figure out what you cannot live without. Do not cut those out. You will feel horrible buying cheap wine if one of your great joys is expensive French Champagne. If it's your latte every morning then keep that. I will never compromise getting my nails done, nice shoes, or almonds. Those damn things are $10 a pound.

3) Figure out what you can swap. Some things don't really make that much of a difference. For example, I used to ONLY buy shampoo that was $35 a pop. Then they went ahead and raised my rent, cable and car insurance and I decided to change it. Despite my constant complaints during the first month.... I did not in fact die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home