Monday, October 19, 2009

SNL Had One Sponsor This Weekend, And They Blew It.


I have to preface this post by saying that I am starting to really get into watching advertising campaigns this year. I've been following what a lot of companies are doing and it's been really interesting to see what people are trying, how they are using social media, and poking some fun at those who are flailing a bit.
I don't know if you watched what Mad Men and BMW did this year but I thought it was brilliant. Mostly brilliant. Mad Men had 1 commercial sponsor: BMW. The sponsor got the entire commercial break and they made their commercials tailored to the audience that they knew was watching Mad Men so they had lots of video of BMW throughout the years, trivia that pertained to advertising and/or the 50's. I thought it was relevant and nicely done.
SNL decided to do the same with Bud Light's Golden Wheat beer during this weekend's show. I was really interested in seeing if the beer company would capture this great opportunity by creating some targeted content for SNL viewers.
The first fail came in when they touted all over the place that Bud Light's Golden Wheat was the ONLY sponsor and then proceeded to show plenty of other commercials. hmmmmm.
The next fail was when they showed fairly tame (i.e. boring) commercials to an audience that was there for comedy.
They tried to show some interesting content by pulling reels of old dress rehearsals at SNL but in my opinion, didn't pull any really good ones.
Lastly, they tried to seem like they were "social" by broadcasting groups of people at a bar in NY holding up beer bottles.
I think that the concept of the 1 sponsor per show is a good one but the sponsor HAS to then take advantage of the type of audience watching that show.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandyn said...

I often wonder why some people get paid to do bad marketing when I often do it for free :)

October 19, 2009 at 6:28 AM  
Blogger Royce said...

I was really excited that your pic might be a link to the Doing it Wrong site, but alas it was not

So how does that work, they were the only sponsor but then there were other commercials? That's stupid as hell

October 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Ha! I love that site! I should have linked it.....

yeah, I didn't get the whole concept of 1 sponsor but then tons of other commercials either.

October 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home