Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekend Project: Upcycling A Bookshelf


I have always been really into finding ways to update ugly, cheap / free, or outdated furniture. Fortunately for me, the New Jersey-ite appears to be a collector of this sort of thing. During the move, a lot of this stuff went to the dump but we still have enough left over for a lot of weekends of upcycling. I hadn't heard the term until this year but it seems like it's gaining momentum as the description of choice for updating household items like furniture.
It's a relatively inexpensive way to make something new and cool and if it doesn't work out (which mine sometimes don't) you don't feel so bad about throwing it out. I mean, you tried right?
This weekend we've decided to make over one of the New Jersey-ite's bookshelves and turn it into a spice cabinet for the kitchen.
This is what you'll need:
old, ugly bookshelf
rental sander - we got it from Home Depot for $10 for 24 hours
Sandpaper Rounds - $4
2 paint brushes - $7
plasitc to put on the ground - $4
paint - $12 (high gloss wall paint works great)
hanging brackets - they are triangular $9
Total Cost - $46

The best part about buying the paint was when the Home Depot paint mixer said "wow, anyone buying this color must really know what they are doing."
The New Jersey-ite looks at me sideways since I was the one who picked the color and insisted that it would look good.
This was my inspiration:
I love the white with the bright green, it's different and fresh looking. Out kitchen is white, with white, white cabinets, with a splash of white. It needed a splash of something, ANYTHING colorful.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Royce said...

hanging brackets - they are triangular

that tickled me for some reason... not that I'm Captain Handyman or anything, it was just endearing

January 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home