Friday, March 27, 2009

It's Spring And My Closet Is Ugly.

I'm going to start off by saying that I am thoroughly tired of my winter wardrobe. If I have to wear black on black with tights one more time I may just implode, drive straight to Mexico, or stop wearing clothes altogether..... (and she used to be such a normal girl). I can't even look at most of it at this point.
So I went into my closets the other day knowing that I have to do some spring cleaning and weeding out of ugly stuff. I also know that there are a million shows by Tim Gunn and others out there on how you should do this but since I want to do a bare minimum of work I thought I'd compile just the essentials.
1) Buy all the same hangers. It's a really cheap way to make your closet look uniform. They are around $2 at target so just go in, buy a whole bunch and throw away all of your wire and unmatching hangers. seriously, it looks so much better.
2) Throw away anything you bought that you haven't worn in a year and cost under $40. Do NOT throw away really quality stuff because things come back in style all the time. If it's a cheap shirt you're not wearing, it's probably made poorly and doesn't fit you right. A well made item that's out of style will come back in a few years. And it will still be nice.
3) Clean off the salt: a 50/50 water and vinegar mix can take care of all those salt stains on.... well.... every item of clothing and pair of shoes I have.
4) Build Up Your Wardrobe: It's all about the upgrade for spring in an economically trying time. Instead of buying a complete spring wardrobe just upgrade some things. Example: It's better to replace a ratty white tank with a nice, new one than buy it in another color. Assess what needs replacing before you go for new stuff otherwise you'll end up wearing that ratty white tank after you blew your budget on a new yellow one.
5) Do not underestimate the power of accessories: I load up on jewelery that's really unique so that I can wear it with say nice jeans and a white tank and people still comment on what a cute outfit I have. I can wear the exact same thing with totally different accessories a few days later and no one is the wiser. (hint: not that I'm saying you should but if you happen to ummm.... not go home some nights, you can throw new jewelry in your purse and have a semi decent look the next day).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better yet, splurge just a *little* and get some really nice hangers; I like these - they're compact and look great. Having nice hangers also really highlights the crappy things in one's closet -- if it doesn't look like it belongs on such a good hanger, it doesn't belong on you. Throw it out!

March 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Nisha said...

Does the water/vinegar thing really work?? Even, say, on suede boots that I ruined in the snow/salt?

March 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Iole said...

hi, just discovered your blog and stopped by.
Hope you could pass to visit mine
xoxo

April 7, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home